Bleasdale and the Forest of Bowland History and Archaeology
The name Bleasdale may have come from Old Norse Blesa which means "a bare spot on a hill-side"
Bleasdale Circle SD 577460
Just up the lane and across a few fields is Bleasdale Circle a Bronze Age timber monument built 3700 years ago. The original position of the timber posts are now marked by concrete markers.
The finds from the site are on display at the Harris Museum in Preston.
Bleasdale Circle Leaflet (PDF 966kb)
Roman Lead Mining
High above us across the fells are remains of Roman lead mining and a Romano-British enclosed settlement Sagar Hill.
Packhorse Bridge Admarsh Barn and St. Eadmer’s Church
An equally short walk will take you first past St. Eadmer’s Church, at Admarsh in Bleasdale founded in 1577 and rebuilt 1835 using much of the original decorative stone work. Further on you can go past Admarsh Barn built in 1720 and on to the Packhorse bridge used by horses transporting wool to the Pennine manufacturing areas.
'Chipping' in old English means market, many of the village's finest buildings date from the 17th century but the village dates back to Anglo-Saxon times. In the village is an ancient water-wheel and the village church was founded in 597AD.
The craft shop and post office has been a shop since 1668 and is probably the oldest continuously trading shop in Great Britain.
The oldest surviving family home in Lancashire - is the ancestral home of the Parker Family, who have lived there since it was built in 1507.
Browsholme Hall Historic House and Wedding Venue web site
Clitheroe Castle and Museum
Built around 1186 the Norman castle has dominated the skyline of Clitheroe for over 800 years. Recently refurbished the museum is packed with interesting exhibits plus has a modern cafe and gallery space.
Ribchester Roman Fort, Museum and Bath House
Museum dedicated to the Romano-British history of Bremetenacum Veteranorum, the Roman name for Ribchester.
Ribchester Roman Museum web site
Ancient churches can be found at Chipping, Slaidburn and Bolton by Bowland.
Substantial remains of a Cistercian Abbey founded 1296 and dissolved in 1537. Visitor centre, gift shop and cafe.
The remains of a Cistercian abbey founded in 1148, set on the banks of the Ribble against a backdrop of dramatic hills.
Sawley Abbey (PDF 48kb)
Often known as John O' Gaunt's Castle, Lancaster Castle is one of the most historically interesting buildings in Lancashire.
Lancaster Castle web site
Lime Kilns at Cow Ark, Downham, Slaidburn and Dunsop Bridge